Monday, August 27, 2012

Mason Jar Candle Holder



When we bought our house, there was a storage room in the basement filled with tons of mason jars of all sizes and types.  I have been thinking of ideas to use them in a crafty sort of way.  I decided to make the jar into a candle holder and was inspired by the following ideas I saw on Pinterest.  

The jar was supposed to be etched with a lace look and then have lace and burlap wrapped around it.  Well...the etching didn't go as planned.  I had a nice jar  that was smooth with no raised writing on it.  I laid a piece of lace down and put the glass etching creme on top.  When I removed the lace and washed off the etching creme, it just looked blotchy as the creme bled through the lace too much.  I was then going to just make it solid frosted and put etching on the rest of the jar.  When I was washing it off, I dropped the jar in the sink making it break.  Bummer, my only smooth glass jar.  I was frustrated then and just grabbed another jar, spray painted the lid, and wrapped some lace and the new Close to My Heart Burlap Ribbon around and stuck it down with some hot glue.  

I'm not completely happy with the way it turned out, but oh well.  I will have to try the etching again another time. The bow is just barely tacked down, so I may swap it out for something more modern looking.

Close to My Heart Products Used:
Burlap Ribbon
Liquid Glass
Foundry Buckles (retired)

Other Products Used:
Mason Jar with lid
Spray Paint- metal hammered finish
Lace trim from my mom's stash


Pinterest Inspirations

No comments:

Post a Comment