Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween Rag Quilt

My mom and I went shopping on Labor Day and stopped at JoAnn Fabrics. They had all their fabric bundles and fat quarters half price. I bought 2 bundles of Halloween fabric, 4th of July bundles and matching fabric, and some clearance jelly rolls and matching fabric swatches. I bought these with the intention of making a rag quilt. My friend has made several of these and has one displayed in her house. I have made pieced quilts for years, but had never made a rag quilt. I dove-in with the Halloween fabric first.


I am in love with rag quilts now! They are so super simple and quick to make. Steps:
--I cut the fabric into rectangles that were 6x7 inches. I could get 9 rectangles out of each piece of fabric in the bundle.
--I used scraps of batting that were slightly smaller than the fabric squares (they were either 5x6 or 4x5).
--Sandwich the right-sides OUT (opposite than normal sewing) with a piece of batting in between them. I chose matching fronts and backs.
--Stitch an X from corner to corner to hold the batting in place.
--Sew the squares together with one side of the quilt showing the seams.
--Clip the seams to help it fray and lay flat
--Wash & dry to promote fraying of the seams

Is it bad that I relate almost all things to Close to My Heart products now? This quilt reminds me of the Hooligans paper from last fall. I have already started making things to match it with the Hooligans paper!

Materials:
Bundle of Halloween Fabric from JoAnn Fabrics:
---Multi Dot
---Webs on Dots
---Black Cats
---Boo! On Black with Glitter
---Outline Pumpkins
---Witch Hats & Shoes with Glitter
---Halloween Stripe (did not use on the quilt)
---Eyes
---Zig Zag Stripe
---Spiders with Glitter

No comments:

Post a Comment