Thursday, September 15, 2011

Star Baby Quilt

Where have I been? I have taken a little break from scrapbooking for the past few weeks to work on my other hobby...quilting.

I have always made quilts as baby gifts for my friends and family. I usually do simple fabric panels- quilted and binded. I have been wanting to make a pieced baby quilt. This quilt was more of a challenge because the parents want the gender to be a surprise. They have chosen to decorate the nursery in a Wynken, Blynken, & Nod theme inspired by a beautifully illustrated children's book. I went to the fabric store and spent a long time deciding which fabrics I should use. I finally settled on a mixture of prints in light blue and light yellow.
We next went to Walmart to buy some various things and I stopped by the magazine aisle to look at a few quilting magazines. One of them had great basic easy quilts and sewing projects. The quilt that stood out to me the most had a star pattern.

I apologize for the poor photos. I literally finished this the night before the baby shower and ended up wrapping it once I got to work and taking a quick photo before I put it in the gift bag.
You can see some of the quilting detail in the above photo. The fabrics blended together and I wanted the stars to really pop out so I quilted them in a grid pattern the width of my presser-foot.

I am very pleased with how this quilt turned out. The soon-to-be mother said it matched her nursery perfectly. I can't wait to see the little bundle of joy wrapped up in this quilt!


Materials Used:
Pattern- Simple Quilts & Sewing Magazine- Spring 2011
Fabrics- JoAnn Fabrics Nursery Prints
Binding- I bought several spools of this ruffled binding in all different colors when Walmart was discontinuing their fabric department

No comments:

Post a Comment